Cupcakes are cakes that come in small packages or boxes and are also known as Queen’s cake and cupcakes business is quite easy to start. If you would like to know how to start cupcake business, baking equipments, cupcake business profitability, how to preserve cupcakes and the likes, this article is just for you. Have a good read.
First of all, it is worthy of note that cupcakes business could be tempting and you might want to start eating the cupcakes. If you do this, there’s a possibility that you’ll eat your profit and even get to eat your capital which would make your business go down. So by all means, avoid eating too much of the cakes, save your profit and rollover.
CUPCAKES BAKING EQUIPMENTS/ INGREDIENTS
First thing in starting cupcake business is to know what equipment you’ll be buying, so you don’t buy the wrong things that you can’t even improvise with. That being said, the equipments for cupcake business include but not limited to the following:
- Baking pan/pot,
- Cake cups
- Aluminum pot/oven
- Electric cooker/stove/ gas
- Egg whisker
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Electric mixer/pestle/spatula
The above equipments can be improvised and used where applicable.
Cupcake baking ingredients include:
- Baking powder
CUPCAKE BAKING PROCEDURE
- Cream your butter by turning with the spatula or pestle or electric mixer in a regular pattern, either or anti-clockwise but don’t use both patterns.
- Mix all your dry and wet ingredients separately.
- Whisk your egg very well and set it aside
- You can now start mixing them together by first adding sugar to the creamed butter, keep mixing till you get your desired consistency
- Pour in your sieved flour and baking powder into the mixture and continue mixing because it is advisable to fold/pour in the flour in batches so you would be able to mix thoroughly.
- Add your flavor, milk, and preservative and continue mixing till you get the consistency you desire which most preferably should be dropping.
- pour the mixture into your pan or share them equally into the cups, place them on the baking tray and shake lightly for an even distribution or just place the cups directly on the baking pot if you’re not using an oven’
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until it turns golden brown, do not open the pot or oven until the aroma fills everywhere and you’re certain the cake is ready, you can reduce the heat at this point and check if the cake is ready by dipping in a toothpick, if it comes out drop then your cake is ready.
TIPS FOR CUPCAKES BAKING PROCEDURE
- Pre-heat your oven- the purpose of doing this is so that your oven gets hot while you’re preparing the batter. Don’t stress yourself if you don’t have an oven cause you can use a pot as I earlier said, improvisation is allowed because you can just fill the bottom of the pot with clean sand and pebbles and also use foil paper to cover it so it gives a layered surface.
- Remember to also grease your pan/baking cups; this helps the cake to come out easily when ready. This step however can be skipped if you’re using paper cups.
IS CUPCAKE BUSINESS PROFITABLE?
Answer’s yes, cupcake business is very profitable and it all boils down to how well you manage the business. You can’t expect to have too much profit if you’re always eating into your capital or doing too much “giveaway” with the cakes. The ingredients needed are not too much and good thing is most things last for a long time like the baking pot, baking pan and baking cups. So you would have made enough money from them over time because there are not things you get to keep buying.
To start cupcakes business and stay successful in it, you have to plan for both the capital and the marketing strategy you will be using. A market survey helps you plan your capital and from there you can tell how much you would need because the cool thing about cupcake business is that you can actually plan on a budget and work towards it within a period of time before the prices of things sky rocket and this means you can carry out the survey and start buying almost immediately. market your cupcakes, you can first start by writing cupcake business proposal to stores around you, market it online and supply it to guys who sell in traffic at a subsidized rate. Sell in secondary schools and universities.
In this article, we talked about the most possible and achievable ways to start cupcake business. Notice that we didn’t talk about location because you can produce the cake even at home and supply it out. Wasting money on scouting for location or renting a shop can be avoided at the initial stage. So start your cupcake business, use good packaging and employ the hacks in this article for a successful cupcake business.
You can make 50 naira cupcake by asking the people you buy cake pan from to make 50 naira cups for you, they usually do it in different sizes and they know which size fits a particular amount and they count the cups for sale at a discounted rate. Ask them for help so you don’t use 100 cake cups to make 50 naira cakes and end up running at a loss.
You can preserve cupcakes by adding alcohol to it, that’s the best preservative I see bakers use. Buy sachet alcohol and add to the mixing so that the cake can last for a longer time and the taste wouldn’t change. Do not put too much alcohol though so that the cake doesn’t make people high.